In line with the DEECD guidelines all vacant positions will be advertised in Recruitment Online – at www.education.vic.gov.au
The Victorian Institute of Teaching is a statutory authority for the regulation and promotion of the teaching profession in Victoria.
Established by an Act of Parliament in December 2001, the Institute operates along similar lines to other regulatory bodies, such as the Medical Practitioners Board of Victoria, the Legal Practice Board and the Nurses Board of Victoria.
The Institute registers teachers working in Victorian government, Catholic and independent schools. Like other professions occupying positions of trust and responsibility, teachers are required to be registered in order to practise their profession. All practising Victorian school teachers must be registered by the Institute.
The Institute is governed by a twenty-member Council, the majority of who are practising teachers from government, Catholic and independent schools.
- Registers all teachers to ensure only qualified people are employed in Victorian schools
- Promotes the profession of teaching to the wider community
- Works with teachers to develop standards of professional practice
- Supports teachers in their first year of teaching with a structured induction program
- Approves and accredits pre-service teacher education courses that prepare teachers
- Investigates and makes findings on instances of serious misconduct, serious incompetence or lack of fitness to teach