The Enrichment Program at Wyndham Central College will provide students, who have been identified as gifted and talented, with a developmentally appropriate program. The program allows students access to learning opportunities that challenge and extend learning in chosen domains. Enrichment experiences will be interwoven into tutor time and the normal class timetable, with extracurricular activities playing an important role in supporting the enrichment project. In consultation with subject teachers and the tutor teacher, students develop and present an Enrichment Project tailored specifically for their skills and talents.
Selection into the Enrichment Class
All students enrolling into Year 7 will be offered the opportunity to apply for a place in the Enrichment Class. The Expression of Interest form attached to this letter must be filled out by both parent and student and returned to Wyndham Central College administration office. The selection process will be informed by:
- Student’s most recent school report
- Year 5 NAPLAN test results
- Student’s Personal Statement
- Recommendations by teachers, parents, coaches etc
A broad range of enrichment opportunities will be made available to successful applicants. Each student will develop an Enrichment Project in conjunction with the Enrichment tutor teacher, classroom teachers and selected teacher mentors. These opportunities include:
- Presentation of a research project at the Enrichment Expo: Thomas Edison Project
- Excursions and incursions that enrich both the learning of students and curriculum that is
taught in the classroom.
- Enrichment project including resources and mentor
- Differentiated curriculum and assessment in their area of enrichment
- Flexible timetabling to allow students to work with ability and same interest groups
- Participation in extracurricular activities to support development in areas of enrichment
All students are expected to be broadly involved in all aspects of student life at the college. A number of extra-curricular activities are available for all students to participate in and provides further enrichment across all learning areas at Wyndham Central. This may include participation in the school musical, drama plays, instrumental music, sporting teams, art shows, leadership opportunities
including representing our AVID program at parent information nights, maths competitions, STEM
and Science based activities.
The Enrichment Project
All students will develop an Enrichment Project over the course of the year and presented during
Term 4. The project is based on Type 3 enrichment from Renzulli’s School Wide Enrichment Model.
Projects are real-world, problem-based, long-term investigations. Students must commit the time
necessary for inquiry and content discovery type activities in conjunction with their mentor teacher.
Mentors are selected by the Enrichment Coordinator based on the areas of expertise that is needed.
Enrichment projects can be presented using a number of mediums for example: as presentations
using PowerPoints, performances, music recitals, lectures and YouTube demonstrations.
The Enrichment Project will
- Allow students to develop authentic products related to their area of interests. These products
should have a specific goal or audience in mind.
- Teach students independent learning skills such as researching, planning, organizing,
developing, and time management
- Teach students the importance of task commitment, motivation, and accomplishment
- Encourage students to work collaboratively with other ‘like-minded’ students
- Offer students flexibility to work in a group to achieve an overall project that may not be
For further details about the Year 7 Enrichment Program, please contact Ms. Sue Butcher Enrichment Coordinator on 9741 4911 or by email.
Review the cover letter in the Downloads section at the bottom of this page, then click the following link to access the application form in your web browser: https://forms.office.com/r/bTbDWc79B9
Alternatively, there is a PDF version of the form available in the Downloads section which you can print and return to the school.